What is the program?
The Victorian Government is committed to promoting and enhancing the social, cultural and economic benefits of cultural diversity to all Victorians.
The Multicultural Festivals and Events (MFE) program encourages participation of the whole Victorian community in festivals and events to celebrate and embrace our vibrant multicultural diversity. This initiative is administered by the Department of Premier and Cabinet’s Multicultural Affairs and Social Cohesion (MASC) Division.
The objectives of the program are to:
- showcase the vibrancy and contribution of Victoria’s multiculturalism through regular celebrations and events that encourage participation of the whole community;
- foster cross-cultural awareness, understanding, respect, community unity and intercultural relationships;
- ensure that Victoria’s multicultural communities can celebrate, preserve and share traditions in meaningful ways; and
- build the capacity and experience of smaller or newer community groups to deliver events through the development of genuine partnerships between community organisations.
What’s new in the 2017-2018 MFE Program?
There are several changes and additions to the 2017-18 MFE program of which applicants should be aware and consider in preparing and submitting their application.
- targeted multi-year funding opportunities for regionally-based festivals and events [refer to page 7 of the Program Guidelines for more information];
- a stronger emphasis on outcomes and data collection for larger projects ($50,000 and above), including a requirement for the submission of an Evaluation Plan [refer to page 9 for more information]; and
- a requirement for joint submission by a main applicant and co-applicant for applications requesting $50,000 or more (refer to page 9 of the Program Guidelines for more information)
Three streams of funding are available:
- Small Grants - $500 to $10,000, for small celebrations and events;
- Large Grants - $10,001 to $100,000, for large festivals and events; and
- School Grants ($500 to $2,000 for Victorian primary and secondary (Prep through Year 12) educational institutions holding Cultural Diversity Week events during or around Cultural Diversity Week).
Multi-year funding up to three years will be considered for:
- annual events that have been successfully delivered for the last five years or more; and
- events based in regional Victoria that have been successfully delivered and funded by MASC and/or the Victorian Multicultural Commission (VMC) at least once before in the last three years.
For more information about the program and eligibility requirements please ensure you read the prior to submitting your application. Applicants who have overdue accountability reports for previous grants funded through the VMC and/or OMAC are not eligible to receive funding. To check if you are up to date with accountability reports, please email
Applications have now closed and are currently being reviewed.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1300 366 356.